King Arthur Flour is America’s oldest flour milling company, founded in Boston in 1790 to provide pure, high-quality flour to the people of the United States. Over 220 years later, they have become the country’s premier bakery manufacturer, offering everything from baking ingredients to high-quality kitchen tools backed by the enthusiasm and dedication of their dedicated employees.
King Arthur Brand History
- 1790. Henry Wood begins importing European flour to Long Wharf in Boston, Massachusetts. Its goal was to provide up-and-coming US bakers with high-quality flour.
- 1896. More than 100 years later, the established Wood company has given its product a new brand: King Arthur Flour. Their new, exceptional, grown flour was shown at the Boston show.
- 1957. The Sands, Taylor & Wood Company proudly displayed references to King Arthur Flour and other products wherever possible, including on the company’s vehicles.
- 1984. Owners Frank and Brynna Sands relocated the company from Massachusetts, where it was based for 194, to Norwich, Vermont, where the company is based today.
- 1990. King Arthur Flour created his Baker mailing catalog; published the 200th anniversary of King Arthur Flour; and sent out a subscription to the Biscuit newsletter to 126 readers.
- 1992. At the insistence of local buyers, Baker’s Store opens in the catalog. That same year, their bread baking program began visiting schools to share the joy of baking and donating.
- 1995. King Arthur Flour built a new headquarters in Norwich, a 12-sided beamed building aptly named Camelot. Camelot is now home to Baker’s Shop and Vermont Public Radio.
- 1996. With retirement in mind, Frank and Brynna Sands decided to sell the company to their employees and began an employee shareholding plan; the company also launched its first website.
- 1998. King Arthur Flour establishes a second venture, Avalon, in nearby Hartford, Vermont, for customer service, manufacturing, and product development. In 2004, Avalon expanded to meet the needs of a growing workforce.
- 2000. Near Camelot, a flour-grinding educational center named after King Arthur. Today bakers come from all over the world for famous bread and pastries and their exceptional varieties.
- 2004. King Arthur Flour Baker’s Comrade won the James Beard Foundation Cookbook of the Year; King Arthur Flour also completed the transfer of ownership and became 100% employee property.
- 2007. King Arthur Flour became a B (Beneficial) Corporation foundation, amending its bylaws to reflect its obligations to all stakeholders including shareholders, business partners, the community, and the environment.
- 2010. King Arthur Flour launched its award-winning line of gluten-free cake mixes; the Life Skills bread baking program taught its 120,000th student, and the Learning Center for Bakery has trained over 4,600 bakers.
- 2011. King Arthur Flour spearheaded a massive expansion of The Baker’s Store, King Arthur Flour Bakery, and the Bakery Education Center to remain a destination for passionate bakers for years to come.
Social Responsibility At King Arthur Flour
Here at King Arthur Flour, they are committed to treating their customers and partners, their community, and the environment with the same care they do to maintain the high quality of their flour. In the end, healthy relationships with all of these stakeholders will allow their age-old business to continue working towards its mission for another 200 years.
They focus their efforts on four key areas: environment, people, products, and communities. They strive to be good stewards of each of these things every day, identify and implement ways to reduce their environmental impact, provide funding and services to community organizations, develop an employee-centered ownership culture, and maintain the highest standards for their products and services.
This approach has helped the brand win numerous job and product awards, grow a team of talented employees and owners, and build constructive relationships with customers around the world who truly enjoy cooking. This is their recipe for success, and like all of their recipes, they hope they will inform and inspire.
Commitment to the Environment
Here at King Arthur Flour, they recognize that business can have a big impact on the environment and this represents an important opportunity. In their view, it is a responsibility to study and eliminate these impacts in the hope of improving, not degrading, the environment in which we all live and work.
They worked hard on projects at their Vermont facilities, ranging from recycling and composting to reducing energy use. In 2009, to better understand its company’s broader environmental impact, King Arthur Flour teamed up with environmental partners Esty to conduct an environmental audit, investigating everything from growing its grain to consumers preparing their products. During this audit, they have identified areas where there is the greatest potential for improvement and are working to find ways to reduce these impacts. This is a commitment they make to their communities and future generations.
Why Choose King Arthur Flour?
For over 200 years, the brand has been producing the highest quality American flour. Their grinding standards ensure that, unlike other brands of flour, their flour remains a quality product for many years. Flour meets the strictest quality standards.
- 1 King Arthur Brand History
- 2 Our Top List 10 Best King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour – Editor’s Choice
- 2.1 1# King Arthur Flour 100% Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2.2 2# King Arthur Flour Measure for Measure Flour Gluten-Free – Packaging May Vary – Amazon’s Choice
- 2.3 3# King Arthur Flour Sprouted Wheat Flour – Amazon’s Choice
- 2.4 4# King Arthur Flour Paleo Flour Gluten-Free Certified Non-Gmo Certified All Purpose Flour Substitute – Amazon’s Choice
- 2.5 5# King Arthur Sir Galahad All-Purpose Flour
- 2.6 6# King Arthur 100% Organic Bread Flour – Packaging May Vary – Amazon’s Choice
- 2.7 7# King Arthur Flour Special Patent Flour
- 2.8 8# King Arthur Flour Flour Premium 100% Whole Wheat
- 2.9 9# King Arthur Whole Wheat Traditional Flour
- 2.10 10# King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour 100% Whole Grain
- 3 Why Choose Organic Flour?
Our Top List 10 Best King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour – Editor’s Choice
1# King Arthur Flour 100% Organic Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
General-purpose flour is a versatile kitchen helper. With this flour, you can make great pies, pancakes, rolls, and bread. General-purpose flour has a lower gluten content, so this flour is better for yeast-free baked goods: muffins, cookies, etc. King Arthur Flour is also great for making the elastic dough. Baking from it turns out to be of excellent volume, with a pronounced layering. In terms of the mass fraction of raw gluten, general-purpose flour is almost the same as premium flour.
2# King Arthur Flour Measure for Measure Flour Gluten-Free – Packaging May Vary – Amazon’s Choice
If you are looking for quality and healthy gluten-free flour, then choose this one from King Arthur. This king Arthur gluten-free flour is perfect for transforming your favorite recipes into gluten-free versions. Flour is rich in iron, calcium, and vitamin B. This flour is a must-have for bakers who are new to gluten-free baking or anyone who bakes gluten-free. Ideal for muffins, cookies, brownies, pancakes, and other non-yeast recipes.
3# King Arthur Flour Sprouted Wheat Flour – Amazon’s Choice
This is one of the most unusual foods that can be used just like regular flour. This product is very valuable, similar in properties to grains, but full-fledged baking is possible from it. The only difference is that king Arthur flour will be less sticky and therefore less high in calories. Pancakes and tortillas are made from it, which has a slightly sweetish aftertaste. It can also be used as an additive in cereals to create a complete set of vitamins and minerals. Wheat germ flour can be consumed by diabetics. Of the minerals, it contains potassium, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
4# King Arthur Flour Paleo Flour Gluten-Free Certified Non-Gmo Certified All Purpose Flour Substitute – Amazon’s Choice
Flour for people looking after their figure and health, as well as for those who are on a trendy paleo diet! Grain-Free & Gluten-Free! This flour has an interesting and very healthy composition: almond flour, organic coconut flour, and tapioca flour. This flour is suitable for baking pancakes, waffles, biscuits, muffins, pizza, bread, and cakes.
5# King Arthur Sir Galahad All-Purpose Flour
In the production of King Arthur’s general-purpose wheat flour, the grain undergoes a special treatment that allows it to retain all its nutrients. Wheat flour of general-purpose contains vitamins, amino acids, microelements. Versatile, suitable for the preparation of all types of flour products. Gives the dough elasticity, is used in the manufacture of puff pastry, buns, and other products.
6# King Arthur 100% Organic Bread Flour – Packaging May Vary – Amazon’s Choice
King arthur bread flour is made from winter and spring durum wheat and usually contains about 13% gluten. This organic flour is ideal for yeast breads as well as pizza doughs, rolls and traditional bread. Flour does not contain chemicals or additives. No bleaches or preservatives are ever added.
7# King Arthur Flour Special Patent Flour
This is King Arthur Flour of the highest grade with a complex gluten matrix. Flour can be used to prepare the dough, a long fermentation and cooling process is required. The dough will have compressive strength to maintain the shape of the filled baked goods. The patent flour has distinctive features for processing stuffed tortillas, pizza, and steamed buns.
8# King Arthur Flour Flour Premium 100% Whole Wheat
Regular consumption of products from Whole Wheat King Arthur Flour helps the body to digest food easier, lowers sugar levels, improves memory, vision, prevents obesity, and reduces the incidence of cancer. The flour contains plant fibers. Fiber facilitates the removal of processed products from the body, heavy metals, radioactive substances, raises immunity. Wholegrain baked goods help you lose weight thanks to its low glycemic index.
9# King Arthur Whole Wheat Traditional Flour
This whole grain flour is made from 100% selected wheat. It is non-GMO and has a variety of nutrients, making it ideal for baking. The package contains 5 pounds of flour.
10# King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour 100% Whole Grain
This flour is made from quality selected wheat grown in the USA. It is rich in nutrients, fiber, and 13% protein. This flour is lighter in color due to the fact that it is made from white spring wheat. It is ideal for making bread, muffins, cookies, pancakes.
Why Choose Organic Flour?
First of all, products are considered organic if they do not use GMOs, synthetic pesticides, and growth regulators, which are the ones that pose the greatest health risks. Flour marked “organic” will be made from grain grown without the use of synthetic fertilizers that accelerate growth and in a place where there are no enterprises with harmful emissions. I would like to note that “organic food” is not a modern invention. All components of the product mature naturally, thanks to the sun, water, and care in environmentally friendly conditions.
And to fertilize the soil and protect plants from diseases and pests, only organic biofertilizers and biological products are used. Our ancestors were engaged in the same organic farming, but due to the pursuit of the amount of the crop, we had to resort to various tricks that do not always reflect well on the quality of the product. The essence of organic farming, in contrast to mass farming, is to completely reject the use of chemicals and other additives that can harm health, as well as the soil. As a result, farmers receive an environmentally friendly harvest.
Healthier and Tastier
And what does a product grown in environmentally friendly conditions mean? This product, first of all, is healthier, because it does not contain pesticides, nitrates, and other harmful substances that our body does not need. Of course, the result of the impact here is very delayed – all this affects our body gradually, until around the age of 50, problems with pressure, blood vessels, and so on begin. True, we attribute all this to age, but many factors affect our health. And what we eat is not the least of these factors!
Conservation of Natural Resources
Organic farming preserves the soil used. After all, chemical processing sooner or later depletes the land and it becomes simply unsuitable for harvest. As a result, hectares of land is empty, the ecosystem is disrupted. Since organic farming is prohibited from using herbicides and other chemicals to kill weeds and pests, far more resources are required to maintain the soil. This also explains the higher prices for organic products.
Certifying organizations monitor not only the quality of agriculture, the entire production cycle is under control. In organic products, you will not find enhancers of taste and appearance, as well as additional additives that seem to facilitate the cooking process, but in fact, they affect our health.
King Arthur is a successful company that has delighted its customers with quality products since 1790. King Arthur produces Ingredients, mixes, kitchen tools, pans, appliances, gift guides.